Saturday, September 21, 2024

Not Yet Fall

Weeks ago I found an online article that discussed the physiology of running in the heat.  I wanted to remind myself that it wasn't just my imagination.  You physically cannot run as fast in the heat, at least not for long.

Per the article, as our core body temperature goes up, our heart rate increases.  We pump more blood to the exterior of our bodies, near the surface where the heat can get out.  Since more of our blood is near the surface, there is less available to the muscles themselves and we run slower.  Makes sense, pretty much what I remembered.

I also learned that heat tolerance decreases "as we get older".  That was a surprise.  The author was pretty convincing though, talking about her own experiences with training in the heat as she herself got older.  

It is really important to learn from older people, don't you agree?  They have all that wisdom gained through their vast experience.  I skimmed through more of the article and saw that this particular wise old internet sage was ... "almost 30".  Uhhhh...


MJ's Stampede 10K 

That heat stuff is suddenly pretty relevant again.  I just finished a 10K race this morning that was pretty darn hot and humid.  At the race start it was 77F with 88% humidity.  We were running along the river in Fort Smith, so the local micro climate probably had even higher humidity.

A few weeks ago when I signed up, I was hoping for much better conditions.  I thought I could run a 10K under 50 minutes.  By the time I reached the start line though, I knew to lower my expectations.  I told Shelly "probably 51".  Sadly, that wasn't really close.

 

Breathing

Once again I fell back on my breathing pattern to guide me.  If it is hot and humid, I know I have to slow down, but how much?  I slow down to achieve my target breathing pattern depending on where I am in the race.

I like to start off with an easy 4-4 pattern to stave off the adrenaline rush.  I can sing a little football cheer in my head to get my breathing in sync with my feet.  With 4 steps per breath it is, "Let's-Go-Wild-Cats" ... "Let's-Go-Wild-Cats" ... "Let's-Go-Wild-Cats".

As I approach the first mile, I get more serious with a 3-3 pattern, "K-S-U"... "K-S-U" ... "K-S-U".

On a good day, I can keep that up for the bulk of the race.  Then it devolves into a more desperate 2-2 pattern, "K-State" .. "K-State" ... "K-State".

Nearing the end of the race all that structure kinda goes out the window.  The song in my head is more like "$#@%!" ... "$#@%!" ... "%#@%!".


Today was a whole lot of singing "$#A%!" in my head.  At least I hope that stayed in my head.

I finished in 53:54.